Monday, March 11, 2013

Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter

I've been hearing about cookie butter non-stop for the past month or so. I didn't know exactly what it was, all I knew was that you could spread it on bread and pretty much any food with a surface. The internet has touted it as Europe's version of peanut butter because it's a creamy spread made of crushed cookies instead of crushed peanuts. Just so you know, Speculoos is a type of biscuit that's thin and crunchy.

Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter
Anyhow... since my mom was flying in for my son's graduation I ordered a few jars at Amazon.com which she could bring over. She arrived yesterday and so I got my 3 jars of Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter. The text on the jar describes it as "A deliciously unusual spread reminiscent of gingerbread and made with crushed biscuits.". We'll see about that.

Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter
I opened it up right away, hahaha! I heard that an online seller has like a 2,000-jar backlog in terms of orders so it must be mind-blowingly awesome... right? It has a long shelf-life too, expiring by March 2014.

Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter
I forgot I was supposed to take a picture before tasting so there's a spoon mark already. It's very creamy, I'll give it that. Eating it by the spoonful proved disappointing for me though because it came off as too sweet. I felt I was eating osterized cookies and it was weird. The gingerbread taste promised was nowhere to be found (I super love gingerbread so I was a bit put off)... there's not even the slightest hint of ginger so don't expect it!

Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter
See how creamy it is? Very spreadable.

Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter
Anyhow, I took a break and then tried it again the next morning. I bought some freshly baked pan de sal from Pan de Manila and spread about half a teaspoon of Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter all over the surface. Surprisingly, this time when I took a bite, I liked it a lot better. Smooth, creamy, rich... now I sort of understand why everyone wants a jar. Still no semblance to gingerbread but it really does taste like creamed sweet cookies in a jar. I'm definitely not addicted, but it's nice to have once in a while. I estimate one jar will last more than 6 months here in our house... unless my kids like it enough to eat it more often. As of posting time they haven't tried it yet. Oh yeah, whatever you do, please DO NOT refrigerate. It says so on the bottle too. I suspect refrigerating will harden it, therefore rendering it stone-hard and useless.

Is it worth the hype? No, not really. I find it overrated but then the hype had set up my expectations really really high so I was kind of disappointed when I wasn't blown away like everyone else was. One tablespoon of this contains 89 calories, so I was relieved that half a teaspoon on one pan de sal is enough for me. At the very least I like it a lot better than Nutella since it's a lot less sweet and saturating.

I also bought the European version, Biscoff Spread... I must say I like it better.

Now here's the more pertinent question... where do you buy Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter here in Manila?

  • You can order online via Taste Central (it's usually out of stock so do keep on checking), Cookie Butter Manila, and Lorena and Loreta (I heard their backlog is crazy though).
  • I heard it was sighted for sale at Rustan's Supermarket, Blue Kitchen in Shangri-la Mall, and Milky Way Cafe along Arnaiz Avenue (formerly Pasay Road).
If you have relatives or friends in the US, I suggest ordering from Amazon.com.


Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.

Let's stay connected:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin