Tuesday, January 22, 2013

How to NOT gain weight, period.

Earlier today, I went to Marie France for a consultation. It was for their latest belly-busting treatment (to be revealed soon)... I had to go in so they could gauge if I was a candidate for it. Basically, you need to have tummy bulges (bilbil) to qualify, hahaha! I have a lot and I'm not just saying it so yes, I was definitely a candidate.

Solenn Heussaff and Animetric at the Greenwich party
I was measured all over (arms, legs, tummy... etc.). I was almost afraid of the results because heck, it's January and did I ever go on an eating spree last December thanks to all the parties and gatherings! In fact, that photo with Solenn Heussaff was taken during Greenwich's Christmas party! I went to Buffet 101 at Robinsons Magnolia a grand total of three times and I even had dinner at Sofitel's newly relaunched Spiral. Despite the fact that I went through Detox in a Bottle mid-December, I felt it wasn't enough to keep me in check because all the eating continued right after. Anyhow I probably would be worse off if I hadn't gone through the juice cleanse.

Surprise surprise! After my measurements were taken, results were recorded and well... my sizes did not go up from the last time I was at Marie France (well before December). I even lost half an inch from my upper arms. Jeez! I thought it must be the little things I was doing. I didn't work out at all during December because I was too busy doing everything else. My kids' yaya took a week-long vacation and our other helper was hospitalized. Guess who was stuck with all the chores? Waaah.

Just to make it clear this isn't a post about how to lose weight, it's a collection of tips on how not to gain weight. There's a difference. If you're okay with your present weight and size, this post will hopefully help you maintain status quo. Without further ado, here goes:

  1. Take the stairs if you're just going up 2-3 floors. Seriously. I do this all the time. When I take my kids to their pediatrician at St. Luke's we walk up and down the stairs. The clinic is on the 4th floor by the way. I find it senseless waiting forever for an elevator if I'm just going up and down a floor or two.
  2. Drink water. I usually skip sodas, juices, and iced tea in restaurants and even at home. Water is healthier. It's fat-free, sugar-free, and calorie-free. Drinking a sufficient amount also helps you flush out toxins from your system.
  3. Try to sleep earlier and not later. If you stay up very late, you will get hungry eventually. Midnight snacks are not good because you don't have time to burn the extra calories before you sleep.
  4. McDonald's
  5. When faced with food choices, breaded and battered fried food are always more fattening. Case in point, I would choose a Cheeseburger over a McChicken at McDonald's. The nutritional information above was taken from McDonald's official website. If you just have Hamburger, there are even less calories at 250.
  6. Have a filling yet healthy breakfast. I used to have stuff like garlic rice and longganisa in the morning. Heck I would even have Baked Macaroni. These days, it's always some form of cereal. It could be Nestle Fitnesse with low fat milk, Steel-cut oats, or toasted whole wheat bread with a slice of ham (ham is toasted in an oven, not fried). Skipping breakfast just makes you binge later on in the day.
  7. Share. I'm not perfect. I still eat yummy stuff like J.Co donuts. I still drink milk tea. Instead of having one all to myself though, I usually split one with my hubby and kids.
  8. Get the regular size. Before my weight loss, I would always order large milk tea thinking that the P10 difference in price from the regular size was well worth paying because I get a lot more to drink. The problem is, there are also a lot more calories to contend with. When I have no one to share the large size with, I just get the regular size. I'm used to it now so I'm not even tempted to go large when I buy drinks. Even at Starbucks I always get the smallest size.
  9. Eat when you're hungry. Letting your body go for long periods of time without food makes it think you're in starvation mode. With that, it slows down your metabolism so you tend to store fat and gain weight in the process. Of course, you should choose what you consume wisely. Last Christmas, I would snack on sliced fresh fruits when hungry.
  10. Walk whenever you can. When I'm running errands like paying bills or going to the bank, if it's walking distance I walk.
  11. Skip the fat and the skin. You trim down the fat content of food if you remove the skin off your chicken or that soft layer of fat off your porkchop. 
If you notice, most of the tips are food-related. That's the sad truth... controlling your calorie intake is the best and most efficient way for you to lose weight or not gain weight. When your body gets used to eating less, you feel full a lot faster. Offsetting, or pigging out then killing yourself with physical activity, DOES NOT work unless maybe if you're in a program similar to serious athletic training.

Anyways, these worked for me and I hope they work for you! Here's to a more fit and healthy 2013! :D


Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.

Become a Facebook Fan for updates from Animetric's World.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin