Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yogi Bear 3D showing on January 26!

I was invited to the advanced screening of Yogi Bear in 3D last January 23, 2011 at Glorietta 4.

Yogi Bear 3D Movie 2011When I was a little girl, I always watched Yogi Bear cartoons with my younger sister. I remember the tall brown bear with the green hat and tie and his little bear sidekick Boo Boo. I think he would always say something like "Hey hey hey...".

Yogi Bear 3D MovieYogi was always making mischief in Jellystone Park, much to the constant ire of Ranger Smith. Well, that hasn't changed. This movie is just a very much updated live action/CGI version of the cartoon that we (at least I) grew up with. The Yogi Bear of today spends his time trying to think of unique ways of swiping the picnic baskets of park goers.

Yogi Bear 3D MovieRanger Smith (Tom Cavanaugh) gets a love interest in the person of the nature-loving Rachel (Anna Faris). Rachel wants to shoot a documentary about the bears in Jellystone Park and Ranger Smith is more than happy to assist her.

Ypgi Bear 3D MovieProblems arise when the city mayor decides to shut down Jellystone Park and sell the land. Ranger Smith, Yogi, Boo Boo, and Rachel must now work together to help save Jellystone Park. It's your typical good triumphs over evil story.

Yogi Bear 3D MovieYogi Bear has a very very simple and predictable plot that does not really depart from the original cartoon. The problem is, the cartoon was something like 15 minutes per episode while this film is more than 80 minutes in length. I have to admit though, I found Justin Timberlake to be very very amusing as the voice of Boo Boo. Dan Aykroyd as Yogi Bear is okay too.

Hubby liked the film more than I did. I found the script to be dry and lacking in humor, it would have helped a lot if it were funny -- but then again even if my sister and I watched the cartoon when we were kids I wouldn't really call myself a fan. My kids thought it was okay though. They have no idea who Yogi Bear is as they have never seen the cartoon, so it must be different if you're meeting Yogi and Boo Boo for the first time without any preconceived notions.

This is not a review, I'm merely sharing my thoughts on the film. I'll probably end up spoiling the whole thing for everyone if I write a full-blown review since it's extremely linear.

Yogi Bear opens in theaters nationwide on January 26, 2011. It will be available in 3D too. :)


Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.

Let's stay connected:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin