Sunday, September 5, 2010

Vibram FiveFingers in Manila, Philippines!

Both my hubby and I have been pondering on what to replace our Crocs with for quite some time now. We've been wearing them for the last 3-4 years at least and the soles have become flat with wear. There's no more grip, and during one rainy evening my hubby slipped and sprained himself because of it.

Vibram FiveFingers at Power Plant MallDuring one of our mall trips, hubby discovered Vibram FiveFingers -- footwear that you wear like gloves on your feet. It wasn't my first time to encounter VFF, since I've already seen Jinoe of takbo.ph wearing them. Anyways, before you can try on a pair of VFF's, you'll have to get your foot measured like I did (see photo above) so they know what size to get for you.

Vibram FiveFingers KSO TrekAfter determining my size, I was handed a Vibram FiveFingers KSO Trek to try on. As you can see, there are individual toe pockets. It's one bizarre and funny-looking piece of footwear. The saleslady had to help me put it on since it can be kind of tricky fitting each toe in the corresponding pocket if you're not used to it.

Vibram FiveFingers KSO TrekSo I tried on a pair of Vibram FiveFingers KSO Trek. It's very flat since the soles made of a thin layer of vibram. Vibram is a special kind of rubber that's extremely lightweight, flexible, and durable. Vibram FiveFingers footwear simulates the sensation of being barefoot. I walked around the area and I could literally feel the indentations on the mall floors. This pair costs P4,950.

Trying on the Vibram FiveFingers KSO TrekVibram FiveFingers' barefoot technology helps strengthen and stretch muscles in the feet, improving balance and agility. Although the sole is very thin, it provides excellent slip-resistance and sufficient protection from scorching surfaces and rugged terrain. If I wear it with jeans or jogging pants, it doesn't look too strange -- but then I'd always have to wear an athletic top to go with it. It's really not very versatile fashion-wise if you're a woman. But I must say VFFs are so comfortable it's like you're not wearing anything at all.

Vibram Five Fingers M368 Speed footwear for menMeanwhile, hubby tried on the Vibram FiveFingers Speed M368 in black. It's a lace-up model, kind of like rubber shoes. He liked it so much he purchased it on the spot, retired his Crocs, and didn't bother taking it off for the rest of the day. It cost more than P5,000 -- I don't remember the exact price unfortunately.

The shop owner told us that for VFF, you'd have to break in your feet and not the footwear. It will take some time to get used to since your body will now be using muscles it used to ignore. It's recommended that you wear your VFFs for 1-2 hour intervals in the first few weeks and then gradually increase your usage as your body adapts.

Oh, I should also mention that the VFF has already been rain-tested by my hubby. He doesn't slip anymore. Five-fingered socks are also available for sale at P120 per pair. :)


Vibram FiveFingers
R2 Power Plant Mall
(near National Bookstore at Archaeology)
Rockwell Center, Makati City
http://www.barefootwearinc.com/


Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.

Become a Facebook Fan for more updates from Animetric's World.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin