Thursday, September 30, 2010

Simple dining at Shiok, The Fort

*This establishment is already closed.

We had a simple family dinner at Shiok some weekends ago. I've been hearing good things about the place so I was really looking forward to trying it.

Inside Shiok at The FortShiok means "cheap" in Hokkien, the Chinese dialect widely spoken here in the Philippines. Shiok at The Fort is a small and simple eatery which serves a variety of Singaporean and Malaysian food. Prices are reasonable albeit not really rock bottom cheap as the name would suggest. The ambiance is cafeteria-esque.


Roti Prata at Shiok, The FortWe ordered Roti Prata (P55, pictured above). It's a flour-based pancake that's grilled and served with a bit of curry sauce on the side. It's served hot off the grill and it's very chewy.

Hainan Chicken at Shiok, The FortFor my main course, I decided on Hainan Chicken (P245, pictured above). It came with sliced chicken in soy accompanied by three different dipping sauces. Jasmine rice cooked in chicken broth and a bowl of hot soup are also served on the side for a complete meal.

Hainan Chicken Rice at Shiok, The FortThe jasmine rice that came with the Hainan Chicken was a big hit since it was so flavorful yet natural-tasting. I was not overly impressed with the chicken itself, but then coming from me that isn't really big news since I'm not fond of chicken to begin with. They forgot to serve the soup that was supposed to come with my order and I failed to follow it up so it's nowhere to be seen here. An extra order of this special rice costs P30 per bowl.

Sambal Kangkong at Shiok, The FortI really really loved Sambal Kangkong (P65, pictured above). Slighty spicy and very tasty, this was hands down the winning dish of the night. Next time I eat at Shiok I'm having this with a bowl of the Hainan Chicken rice and I know I'd be perfectly happy.

Crispy Pork at Shiok, The FortCrispy Pork (P110, pictured above) was another hit. The tender pork has this interesting smoked flavor that even the kids appreciated. A small dish of sate sauce accompanies this dish.

Although it may not look like it, Shiok does accept credit cards.

Shiok
0105 Fort Forum
31st and 2nd St., Bonifacio Stop Over,
Fort Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City
466-6291

Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.

Become a Facebook Fan for more updates from Animetric's World.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin