Tuesday, January 5, 2010

McDonald's Philippines' "Tweens" Ad

Just saw McDonald's latest ad over at Entrepremom and I can't say that I like it.


In fact, I dislike it. Here's why:
  • The kids look like they're what... 10 years old? I have a son who's turning 9 next month and has no inkling of what dating is.
  • What parents in their right mind would allow their tween daughter wait all alone outside a McDonald's outlet? There are just too many bad people out there these days.
  • The whole ad tries so hard to be cute but it's really not (for me anyway). It's so... pilit (contrived). The parents look more like grandparents to boot. :p
  • I feel that stuff like this influence our kids to grow up before their time. Why can't they just let children be children? I was still playing with Barbie dolls at 13 for crying out loud.
I just don't like this ad. Call me old-fashioned and overly analytical but this is exactly the type of conditioning that leads to problems like teenage pregnancy, early marriage, etc. Is this something that we want our kids to watch on TV and emulate?

My mom commented "It's not promoting the food, but the kids dating...". Couldn't have said it better myself.

What do you think?

Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin