Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pulse Yoga @ Power Plant Mall!

Rockwell Summer Series I was lucky enough to get a slot for Power Plant Mall's "A Weekend of Fitness". This is part of Rockwell's Summer Series, a whole roster of activities for mall patrons happening this month and next.

I registered for a Pulse Yoga class from 3-4PM today. In addition to a free one hour class, everyone who registers also gets a FREE pair of Havaianas flipflops. How cool is that?

When I got there, mats and towels were already prepared inside the colorful tent on Plaza Drive where we would have our class. My classmates consisted of old and new friends alike -- there was Suzy, Beia, Pearlie, Michelle, and Czaroma. Plus Monica of Indigo Baby, whom I just met yesterday at the Belle de Jour event. The session was limited to 20 participants only.

Tesa Celdran was our instructor. She had a very long and lean built, just like my instructors at Bikram Yoga last year. I could hardly believe that she used to be very much overweight. She said that she attained her current built purely by practicing yoga. What an inspiration!

Pulse Yoga instructor Tesa Celdran
Yoga students at RockwellWe practiced Hatha Yoga for today. I was half-expecting the postures to be like those I did for Bikram, but only the tree pose and the triangle were exactly the same. Everything else was different, and some postures were more difficult -- particularly the one where we had to lift our butts off the floor by supporting our entire body weight with our hands and arms on the mat.

Hatha Yoga is more relaxed in pace compared to Bikram Yoga, but since I gave every posture my all I still ended up sweating despite practicing under an open-air tent on a breezy Sunday afternoon. Of course, it wasn't like the squeeze-your-shirt and get-a-puddle sort of sweat you get with Bikram. It felt good though, I loved the outdoor atmosphere and the natural ventilation.

After a full hour of breathing exercises and postures, we were given cold mentholated towels and a cup of hot tea. Wow! What a way to cap off the entire experience!

Tesa told me that the rate of losing weight doing this type of yoga is slower compared to Bikram, but she assured me that the slower you lose it, the more it will stay off or you won't gain it back. Since I really need to lose some weight I think I'll take several weeks of Bikram and then transfer to this type of yoga. I want to try Ashtanga Yoga at Pulse as well, which I've heard so much about.

We were all given coupons for our free pair of Havainas which we claimed at Moana. I got a lovely metallic gold pair! I had a free serving of 95% fat-free frozen yogurt at The Ice Cream Bar as well, courtesy of a coupon I got at the Belle de Jour event yesterday. :D

Pulse Yoga Greenhills
23 Florida St., Greenhills, Mandaluyong City
721-7900

Pulse Yoga Makati
2289 UPRC III Bldg., Pasong Tamo Ext., Makati City
0917-83PULSE

Check out http://www.pulse-yoga.com

Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.

Related Posts:
Capoeira @ Skycable FitFest
Bibingcrepes and Movnat
blog comments powered by Disqus

Blog Widget by LinkWithin